Welcome to the world little Linden

linden7, originally uploaded by tjkenn.

Nothing since November! You’d think that we were busy being pregnant, almost two and in a hectic job. Of course, you would be right.

And now we are all taking it “easy” at home. Thanks Linden for the excuse to slow down. We are so pleased to announce the birth of our little sapling tree, Linden Charles Paessel. He is a love and growing quickly. The stats:

Born December 30, 2008 at 10:01 pm

7 lbs. 14 oz. and 21 inches long

By the time I finally went into labor it was nearly 10 days past his official due date and 4 days past his expected due date. I was VERY pregnant and VERY uncomfortable. Noah’s mother, Diane, came to stay with us on the 20th and stayed until Linden was home. Ada, of course, was in heaven and in love. She didn’t need me or Noah and was even happier when Poppa Tom came too. Thankfully this meant that I had time to catch up on my sleep and a break from chasing after a toddler. I didn’t realize how exhausted I had been!

Finally on Monday night (12/29) I started having contractions. Nothing too exciting, mind you but just enough that I could finally say that something appeared to be happening. Accordingly Noah and I went right to sleep so that we’d be ready for the marathon ahead. Unfortunately Linden decided that he was going to practice kick boxing between each contraction. So there was no sleep for me or baby that night. By the morning I was still warming up to being in labor (I’m a slow poke you see) but we decided to go to the hospital and labor there so that Ada and Diane could have the run of the house.

It turns out that there were three of us in labor that day. All day. I believe that I was the last to deliver, lucky me. I was 2 cm. dialated when we got in. Not really all that much for a whole night of being relaxed. So we took it easy, called in for hospital food ( oh, boy!) and RELAXED. At least as much as you can with contractions and a phenomenal tandem backache. But what really got us where we needed to be was the bath. So I took two. Two very long baths.

Jacuzzi bathtub with a big air pillow type thing that buoyed me up. It was GREAT! Ok, not that great, I fully expected all the back pain to go away and to be riding on the contraction waves. But no, if anything it was all stronger. But productive. By the time my midwife had finished a very long day at the office (about 8:30 pm) I was finally 6 cm. dialated. She broke my water at 8:45 pm and a rather intense hour and a quarter later, Linden was born. He promptly peed and pooped on me and soon after made his first successful latch to bring on the milk. Good boy!

I must have been really tired because my body wasn’t stopping bleeding fast enough so I needed to have a shot of pitocin to make sure that everything started contracting more quickly. It worked, thank goodness, and here we are. We’re still getting used to having a little boy. Every now and again Noah or I will call him some girl pronoun and I still need to get used to checking his diaper and not assuming that his scrotum means there is something that needs cleaning. He is beautiful and pretty sleepy and a very good nurser. He has all his fingers and toes, his belly button is healing nicely, he has the sweetest little divet on his ear and is gaining weight like a champ.

Just as we were coming home, Ada came down with a nasty cold. Cough, sneezing, tired, etc. So we had to keep the two of them separate for about a week. That was tough. I totally missed my little girl. Now they are sharing hugs and kisses. Ada is learning to be gentle. She is not learning to let sleeping babies sleep. We are enjoying our new level of family.

I must say that birthing babies has been an adventure. I feel totally fortunate that I have been supported by my friends and family and especially Noah and Louise (our midwife) that I have had two natural births. Though neither was a walk in the park, I feel really good about how things went, that I was able to trust my body and trust my coaches and that both babies were born slowly and gently. And they got out somehow! How amazing! We are so glad to have our two little healthy, happy peanuts.

We are looking forward to sharing them with you.

SNIF Tag Launches Today!

I just wanted to tell everyone that http://sniftag.com has launched, and we are shipping products!! This is a big moment for me, and for SNIF Labs.

For the last three years, I have been working at SNIF Labs, a Boston startup developing a revolutionary technology. Today we are launching the SNIF Tag – our first product aimed at urban dog owners.  I am proud of the team we have developed, and  psyched about the product.  It is a game-changing technology, a fun product, an enthusiastic market, and a very cool place to work.

If you are not familiar with the technology, watch the videos ( see links at bottom ) It explains how the SNIF Tag helps you keep track of your dog, and how it connects you with like-minded dog owners in your neighborhood. It will also give you a good idea of what the tag looks like.

SNIF Labs is the definition of upstart. We have boot-strapped and worked closely together – with some interesting challenges -  to bring a unique consumer product to market. We now want to motivate people to act early so we have setup a two-week early-adopter promotion.  From now until November 24th, we are offering the SNIF Tag starter kit online for $199.00 ( $100 discount ).

We would like your help getting the word out, and spreading the excitement.

Thank you!!   — noah


Product Video

Expert Review

User Review

How we made it


Rooster, originally uploaded by Dzwjedziak.

About a week ago we were awakened at 4:50 a.m. by… a rooster crow? Yes that is right. And it was repeated consistently for the rest of the day. It seems that a rogue rooster has attached itself to our neighbor’s chicken coop and nobody wants it. Luckily Ada seems immune to his calls which is good since she is sleeping very well until about 6:30 these days. Noah and I, however, are waking consistently at, that’s right, 4:50 a.m.

Yesterday I seemed to be anticipating his calls and woke up at 4:30 just to make sure I didn’t miss a one.

So, what do we do? Post a “Found Rooster” poster around town? Wait for a coyote to get him? Call animal control? Or something more creative?

Mushroom Mambo

After seeing this Ted talk by Paul Stamets about the humble mycelium, I started to pay more attention to fungus. I am not sure if it is also the weather right now, but our yard is literally bursting at the seams with all kinds of fungus. So Today I went on a photo expedition. I am not sure how many different varieties are in our yard at the moment. The photos are all up on our flickr site.

If any one out there knows anything about fungus, it would be cool to learn which varieties these are.

We watch Ada, and tell her to never touch them. But they are pretty:




Grandma Jan

Joyful, originally uploaded by the paessels.

My grandmother, Janeth Page, passed away on Thursday. I am so fortunate to have had a friendship with her. I stayed with her when I moved from California out here to Massachusetts and we have stayed in touch regularly since then.

I am most thankful that Aunt Pat and Grandma made it to mine and Noah’s wedding. Grandma and I had been talking about it and she just didn’t see how it could happen. And look, Aunt Pat just wouldn’t take that for an answer!

We have created a guest book for Grandma’s memorial service on Tuesday. You can access it at: http://paessel.com/janethpage

Our Superhero

bizarre, originally uploaded by tjkenn.

Noah’s family was up this weekend and gave Noah and me a vacation from Ada’s rigorous schedule. We did useful things like vacuumed the car, made a major dump run and paid some bills. We had some fun times like we went on a lunch date that included a walk into the hidden hinterlands of downtown Plymouth (we couldn’t see a house or telephone line or anything!)

And then…. after Ada was asleep…. Tom busted out his computer and you see the results here. A host of bizarre alter ego’s emerged. Noah isn’t just brawn, check out the size of that cranium!

Thanks Tom and Diane!

Happy Birthday Jack!

IMG_2550.JPG, originally uploaded by the paessels.

Happy Belated Birthday from all of us in sleepy Carver. I hope that you are enjoying your rockin’ birthday party. I heard ALL about that great Caesar salad that you are eating and pasta? My belly chimes are ringing!

Well we, Noah, Ada and I, all send you big hugs and want to tell you that we love you to the moon and back.

Happy Big day!